Monday, December 14, 2015

The Boardwalk Fitness Guru-August 2015

The Boardwalk Fitness Guru The Ocean City, NJ Boardwalk is one of my favorite places in the summer. Every morning there is a flurry of activity as runners, bikers and tourists fight for space to do their thing. One can’t help but get caught up in the fitness frenzy that accompanies the sunny weather and salt air. Even old guys like me lace up our running shoes and try to keep pace with the younger folks. Sadly, I know my running days are coming to an end as even the elderly lady in the motorized scooter now passes me like I’m standing still. But I keep at it, if for no other reason than to people watch. During one of my runs I recently encountered a very large gentlemen in full biking gear parked on the side of the boards speaking to a young boy about the benefits of an active lifestyle. With a cigarette in his left hand, a half- eaten cream donut in his right, and a Big Gulp sized soft drink in his coconut shell bike cup holder, he expounded the virtues of a regular fitness routine, quoting internet articles he had read on the subject. The young boy, who I presume was his son, listened intently as his dad quoted studies and statistics on the matter. As I limped on by I remembered a guy named Chuck who I had worked with years ago. Chuck was a self-proclaimed subject matter expert on the newest management trends always quick to talk about the book he was reading on how to motivate employees or the best practices outlined in a recent NY Times best seller. He was quick to point out to anyone who would listen how the company was on the wrong track and how things would change if he were in in charge. Ironically, for most of his career, Chuck was always the number two guy who had little or no responsibility for managing employees or leading a team. That all changed when an acquisition resulted in turnover at the executive level, and Chuck found himself in a leadership role. Faced with the reality of being in charge of several managers, collaborating with others in similar positions and maintaining the morale of his team in the face of a changing environment, he simply didn’t know what to do. Chuck could “talk the talk” but never having to “walk the walk” before assuming this role led to his failure. Within months, Chuck was let go. I’m not sure whatever happened to Chuck, but I hope he was able to find another job, preferably in a support role. Hopefully he learned that practical experience far outweighs what someone else has written in a book and that real life situations require real life experience. As the saying goes, “Words without experience are meaningless.” The fitness guru, on the other hand, is still probably trying to impress others with his knowledge and expertise. I can hardly wait until next summer to see him with funnel cake in hand and powdered sugar on his lips vigilantly riding his bike down the boards. An inspiring sight to be sure for those of us trying to stay in shape.

No comments: