Thursday, December 26, 2013

Can I Get a "Do over" Holiday 2013 It's been a milestone year for our family. My oldest daughter got married, and the event was a great time of celebration with our family and closest friends. Most importantly, I finally have another guy in the family after all those years of female domination in our household. My wife retired after almost 32 years with the same company, which is almost unheard of in this age of 5-7 job changes in a career. HR Solutions, LLC completed its 17th year of business, and we are so appreciative of the partnership and support from our clients and colleagues over the years. For me and my family, it truly has been another extraordinary year. Someone said to me recently, "Don't you wish that when you were younger you knew then what you know now?" Maybe I would have avoided some of the mistakes I made in life; but, then again, how do you ever learn without taking one on the chin once in a while. When I was a kid playing baseball or football with my friends, if we couldn't agree on whether a pitch was a ball or strike or if we made enough yardage for a first down, we would call a "do over." Overall, I have no regrets, but as another holiday season is upon us I find myself reflecting on what I might have done differently if I could get some "do overs" and turn back the clock. Here are my top ten. If I could do it over: •I would have studied more and partied less in college •I would have saved a little more and spent a little less •I would have kept my first car (a 1966 Chrysler Newport) •I would have read more books and watched less TV •I would have practiced the piano at least twice a week •I would have learned a second language •I would have done a better job of keeping in touch with old friends •I would have played with my kids a little more and worked a little less •I would have spent more time with my Dad before he passed away •And most importantly, I would have said "I love you" to my family more often So college has long been over, my car and the piano are in a landfill somewhere, and my Dad has been gone for some time. My kids have moved away and since my wife retired, I don't think I'll be saving all that much. But I am grateful for the time to "do over" some of the other things on my list in the coming year. Here's hoping that you can too. My best wishes to you and yours for a safe and happy holiday season and a healthy and prosperous New Year

No comments: