Tuesday, June 21, 2011

June 2011

What's Your Value Proposition?

Our family made its annual pilgrimage to New York City Mother's Day weekend to see a show and spend an inordinate amount of money on things that cost significantly less around here. It's typically a holiday event for us, but this past year's December snowstorm resulted in our rescheduling the trip. It's always fun having my grown daughters come home and the whole family being together again for a short time. Before the show we stopped for lunch at one of the many tourist destinations, and as I ordered my $17.95 cheeseburger I couldn't help but think of the concept of "value proposition." One random thought led to another, and as I sat awaiting the start of Mary Poppins I questioned my own value proposition both as business owner and a husband and father. Was I really bringing value to my family and clients? If so, what were the things that did and didn't?

According to Wikipedia, the value proposition is derived using a formula of

Value equals Benefits minus Cost.

Even though I was hungry, the cost of the cheeseburger far outweighed its benefit and therefore, one would say that the value proposition associated with lunch was minimal. But listening to my kids giggle, tell stories and cut each other up provided fond memories of past times and an appreciation that we were able to do this one more year before job requirements and other obligations made it impossible. Therefore, even when they brought the check for $93.00 I thought the value proposition of that lunch event was pretty darn good.

So where I ended up after this internal philosophical debate was that determining the value proposition is much broader than just a numerical calculation. The true value that any of us bring to our clients, employees and family has to include those intrinsic things like trust, loyalty, caring and empathy. As a consultant I'm expected to be responsive, provide sound advice, solve problems and keep my clients in compliance with the law but I believe my value proposition to them and my family has to include an investment in their emotional well being as well. I want them to feel that the $17.95 cheeseburger I provide them is worth it!

My best wishes for a great summer.

Phil

Union Organizing Increases as the Economy Improves

According to a recent study released by the Labor Relations Institute, our slowly improving economy is having a direct impact on union organizing activity. Unions have begun a campaign of both targeting industries that typically have not been unionized and actively recruiting new representatives at colleges and universities. Many of the college recruits are being hired as potential "salters" where union members hire on at non-union businesses to internally assess workplace satisfaction and interest in organizing a union. Once it is determined that worker interest in organizing is sufficient, workers are contacted at home and a meeting will be scheduled to form an Organizing Committee. So what can employer do to prevent "salting?"

While the practice of "salting" is legal under federal labor laws, employers maintain the right to hire the candidate most qualified for the position and to conduct thorough background and reference checks before hiring. Employers should periodically review their hiring practices to insure that pre-employment screening and new hire processing practices are in place and consistently administered.

Let us assist in giving your employment practices a check up. Give us a call at 610-287-1162 or email me at phil@hrsolutionsonline.com for a free consultation.

No comments: